Ristorante da Renato – the original “Renato’s” at No. 19

The original Renato’s opened in 1971 as Ristorante or Trattoria da Renato at No 19 King Street. The eponymous owner was originally from from a well-rounded catering background from Biella in Piemonte, Northern Italy. Renato moved to Bristol in 1955 to work in Bristol’s first restaurant. where he met his wife Natalina who hailed form Parma, in the Emilia-Romagna region, famous for its Parma ham and Parmesan cheese. Renato and Natalina were the early pioneers of Bristol’s restaurant trade. For a long time they operated restaurants on both sides of the road, both venues attracting generations of loyal customers, including Prince Charles:

The photograph that Prince Charles donated after his visit in 1974

The photograph that Prince Charles donated after his visit in 1974

Today their children continue the family tradition of providing a warm welcome at Renato’s Taverna dell’Artista across the road at 33 King Street.